To maximise the contribution of the physical activity and sport sector to economic growth across Greater Manchester.
To support the sector in leveraging external investment to develop a more sustainable sector and contribute to the aims of GM Moving.
• Research into the costs of physical inactivity, showed that NHS providers in England spent more than £900m in 2009/10 in treating people with diseases that could be prevented if more people were physically active.
• Gross Value Added (GVA) of sport in Greater Manchester is £1.245m per annum (£598m via people participating in sport).
• Manchester is ranked 5th in the Worlds Ultimate Sport Cities by Sports Business Magazine.
• In 2017 GreaterSports economic Impact contribution to GM was recorded at £3.1m.
• GVA of football is £330m per annum
• Returns on investment in sports programmes for at-risk youth are estimated at £7.35 of social benefit for every £1 spent – through financial savings to police, the criminal justice system and the community.
The below image was produced as part of the GM Moving evaluation in 2017 and takes data from the 2016 Active Lives release.