Develop more active and sustainable environments and communities through active design and infrastructure.
The role of ‘place’ is significant in a whole system approach to population scale behaviour change. In Greater Manchester, solutions are sometimes possible across the city region, sometimes at locality, town, or neighbourhood level. We will encourage our residents to lead active lives, putting in place the infrastructure required to enable more people to walk or cycle and redesigning our streets to meet the needs of all users, establishing Greater Manchester as a world-leading cycle city.
- We will help to influence planning policy and decision making via the Spatial Framework for Greater Manchester to ensure that the principles of Active Design are fully embedded.
- We will support the work of the Greater Manchester Cycling and Walking Commissioner providing knowledge, insight and connections to support a transformational growth in active travel.
- We will develop Greater Manchester wide plans to further engage people in walking and cycling as priorities to support a social movement.
- We will help maximise the potential of outdoor environments to inspire people to lead more active lifestyles, and in doing so, contribute to key environmental outcomes for Greater Manchester.
Granular understanding of place and people
We will build knowledge and understanding of place based integrated working to support local partners to embed physical activity and sport into locality work. This means knowing:
- Our priority audiences and their motivations and behaviours.
- The strategic priorities of the place, based on the needs of the communities
- The ‘assets’’ available in a place
- Who are the key organisations and individuals in a place
- The workforce required to meet the audience needs
- What works/doesn’t work in a place for identified target audiences